- Sew Fun! Blog - http://blog.husqvarnaviking.com -
Posted By Lena Kantis On 21 May, 2010 @ 05:15 In Home Dec,Sewing | No Comments
Thank you Rasmus for being my guest blogger last week! I did enjoy seeing your sewing projects, and your apartment. Looks fabulous! It is fun to see.
I have started to re-decorate one of our bedrooms at home. Athina wanted to have a bigger bedroom when her big brother moved out. We have been moving around beds, and it ended up with having two single beds together in this room as big as a King size bed. So the bedroom that she wanted had this big bed. When granny visited us before Christmas she said: who has got married? (In Greece, where Athinas grandmother comes from, you do not get a bed of that size until you are married. Maybe it has changed, but granny is from a generation that has that built in in their minds)
Well, to make the room more attractive, Athina wanted to have pink curtains. She does also want to have lots of pillows in the bed so I bought her a round long pillow, at the biggest Swedish furniture store; you know the blue and yellow!
It didn’t bought a cover for it but wanted to sew one myself for her. I picked a wonderful white, fluffy, almost like rabbit fur fabric. The cover have to be washable, so I inserted a zipper.
How to sew the cover for a round long pillow:
1. Measure the length of the pillow. (Add seam allowance).
2. I rolled the fabric around to see how much I needed for the width.
(Add seam allowance).
3. Finally calculate the round area; the pillow I bought is 25 cm in diameter. As you can see I did use a plate with the diameter of 26 cm
4. Cut the three parts. One for the long area, and two circles.
5. Use a three thread or four thread overlock stitch around all the edges of the three pieces.
6. Measure and put your zipper on the long piece, see picture. I had a zipper of 60 cm for my pillow and that is 80cm, so I left 10 cm on each end.
7. Time to insert the centered zipper. I did follow the steps, presented in the animated film in the HUSQVARNA VIKING® sewing room .
8. Select straight stitch, stitch with a straight stitch, length 2.5. when you reach the first pictogram mark, use the Fix, to tie off, select straight stitch length 6 mm or “Baste” on your Sewing Advisor. Baste the zipper seam, until you reach the second pictogram mark, sew the remaining seam with a straight stitch, length 2.5 and tie off by using the Fix button to finish
9. Press seam allowances open. Place the right side of the zipper to the wrong side of the seam.
10. Select zigzag. Adjust width to 6.0. Lower the feed teeth. Sew in place with a few bartacks with an inch or so apart.
11. Turn the cover right side out. Select straight stitch. Snap on Zipper Foot E to the right of the needle.
12. Start stitching across the bottom of the zipper. Pivot and sew the right zipper side. Hint! To prevent the fabric from pulling, sew both sides of the zipper in the same direction.
13. Snap on the presser foot to the left of the needle. Sew across the bottom again and sew the left zipper side.
14. Remove the bartacks and basting.
15. Remove the basting stitches, and open the zipper.
16. Pin the circles, right side to right side of the fabric, and stitch around with straight stitch, length 2.5. using the A-foot. Note, you need to have the zipper opened, in order, to be able to turn it to the right side.
17. Turn the cover, right side out. Put it on your pillow and it is ready.
If you have a fabric that will shrink, do wash it before sewing the cover!
The bed will be great with this new pillow, Athina will dream sweet dreams! I am sure you will be able to sew this too!
One more hint: If you do not prefer a zipper- of course it will be easy to use Velcro instead!
PS: If you have any questions regarding the topic of the week, please just send Lena an email: email@example.com  (English only).
Article printed from Sew Fun! Blog: http://blog.husqvarnaviking.com
URL to article: http://blog.husqvarnaviking.com/sweet-dreams-3/
URLs in this post:
 HUSQVARNA VIKING® sewing room: http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/mediafiles/sewingroom/sewingroom_us.asp
 firstname.lastname@example.org: mailto:email@example.com
Copyright © 2011 Sew Fun! Blog. All rights reserved.